For Collier candidates, winning at Politics in the Park not just a walk in the park

Scott McIntyre/Staff

Photo by SCOTT MCINTYRE, Scott McIntyre // Buy this photo

Scott McIntyre/Staff Collier County Sheriff Kevin Rambosk, left, greets Don Brown, of Naples, at Politics in the Park at St. John the Evangelist Life Center on Thursday. Brown used to own an electronics store and brought up how he sold a projection screen to Rambosk once. "He still remembered me," exclaimed Brown. The event gave candidates from around the area a chance to meet voters as well as hold a straw poll.

— They shook hands, played with children and even tried to tempt voters with sweet treats; and at the end of the night, nine candidates for Collier County elected office were declared the unofficial winner.

Now, the candidates running for the county's constitutional, commission and state legislative offices need to wait until August to see if the results of a straw poll Thursday night were any indication of their political future.

The 22nd Politics in the Park, held at St. John the Evangelist Life Center, gave Collier County residents a chance to mingle informally.

This year's event featured 56 participants, varying from candidates for Congress and Collier County Mosquito Control District to Americans for Prosperity and the Democratic Party. But attendees could only vote for candidates in the state legislative, Collier commission and constitutional office races. Those in attendance were allowed to vote once, but there was no age or party affiliation requirement.

This year, 642 ballots were cast, up from 600 ballots just two years earlier.

The event has historically been an indicator of who will win on Election Day.

"It's very important," said Tom Lykos, past president of the Collier Building Industry Association, one of the event's sponsors. "Historically the results are accurate. That's why it's important to the candidates."

Joe Davidow, one of a half-dozen Republicans vying to replace U.S. Rep. Connie Mack, said any event that gets him out in the public is important. Thursday, just hours after the Supreme Court upheld the federal health-care act, Davidow said he was asked dozens of questions about where he stood.

Officials said they heard dozens of people ask questions about the Supreme Court ruling, but Lykos said he tried to advise people to stay away from the hot topic.

"It's a national issue, not a local issue," he said. "I'm not a political animal, but I would recommend local candidates avoid the issue."

Still, the issue was one of the reasons Pat Browne attended the event. Browne said the ruling piqued his interest and he wanted to hear what the candidates had to say.

"It's in my best interest," he said.

Browne said he wasn't a fan of any particular candidate, but was "looking for hope, like everyone else."

Incumbents fared well in the straw poll, with seven of the nine incumbents claiming victory:

■ Clerk of Courts Dwight Brock defeated John Barlow 385 to 211.

■ Tax Collector Larry Ray defeated Steve Wagner 400 to 160

■ Sheriff Kevin Rambosk defeated Victor Ortino 490 to 137.

■ State Rep. Matt Hudson, R-Naples, defeated Pam Brown, a no party affiliation candidate, 356 to 221.

■ State Rep Kathleeen Passidomo, R-Naples, defeated Peter Richter, a Libertarian candidate, 377 to 123. Republican candidate David P. Bolduc came in third with 76 votes.

■ District 1 Commissioner Donna Fiala defeated Republican challenger Steve Cosgrove, 327 to 222. No party affiliation candidate Russell B. Kish came in third with 36 votes.

■ District 3 Commissioner Tom Henning defeated Republican challenger Bill McDaniel 330 to 256.

Not all incumbents came out on top, though.

District 5 commission candidate Tim Nance defeated current Commissioner Jim Coletta 292 to 267. Property Appraiser Abe Skinner lost to challenger Kevin Lilly, who got 340 votes to Skinner's 267.

John Knowles, an elections expert and Ave Maria School of Law spokesman, said straw polls like the one at Politics in the Park are similar to a public opinion poll.

"It's a snapshot, that's really what they're good for," he said.

Still, he said, the polls are often reliable if done accurately.

Related Topics

Related Stories

Related Links

Notahiredblogger writes:

Tim Nance Collier County Commissioner District Five!

lovemycat writes:

It may be a snapshot 'if it's done accurately'.
I didn't go to it, but I went last year because my employer HIGHLY encouraged everyone to go. AND highly encouraged us to vote a certain way.
I went because coworkers would have noticed if I didnt, but still I didn't think it should have been falsely orchestrated the way it was. Last time, people were bused in from another county, free drink tickets were given to large groups to encourage them to attend and vote a certain way.
To me, THAT is the real story here. How this is barely more than a beauty show with the audience 99% filled with all the high school kids, co=workers and family you can get to show up. Heck, it was awfully easy to vote more than once and we were encouraged to vote more than once. Little kids were allowed to vote and the place was crawling with middle and high school kids. I was told that they held it last year after school hours just so they could be sure to get hundreds of kids to be there.
Some things never change or get better here in Collier County., This sham of a 'poll' is one of them. I'll never bother going to another one. As a sponsor, Naples Daily News and whoever else 'sponsors' these things should be ashamed of themselves. This paper actively participates in MAKING the news about these fake voting events ... even though it is a farce ... and then makes a big deal out of the fake results.
My employer did NOT encourage anybody to go this time and I'm sure when I ask around today I'll find that NOBODY went. That tells me tons.

swfl_ff writes:

I think this straw ballot shows what people are thinking.

Coletta is on the hot seat for sure. Most people I know in District 5 are looking for a change. Henning and Fiala will survive as they remain popular within their districts and have a lot of support from the various neighborhoods and civic groups. If Nance is elected then the balance of the commission will more than likely change leaving Colye and Fiala on the loosing end in most issues.

Brock will survive too. While he has been a bit over the top on things here lately most people understand that we need someone who will provide for the proper checks and balances with the county commission. If Barlow is elected most of that will probably go away. He is being backed by Coyle and his minions. Wonder why?

Won't be much of a race for the Sheriff's office. While I am not a big fan of Rambosk on paper he is definitely the most qualified candidate. But looking good on paper is not always the answer. But it will be enough to carry him as there is no other candidate with his backround.

lovemycat writes:

I should have said I went last TIME. It wasn't a year ago, it was two years ago and it was at the Hilton on 41 just below Pine Ridge Road.

TISHIMSELF writes:

Tis awful that an alledged "news paper" who co-sponsoredthis event and prints stories about fire districts, consolidation, mergers, commissioners, etc. , did not have any fire commissioners on the ballots???
Typical NDN I guess.
Next they will print their choices and try to sway the vote.
The NDN also backed Obama.

Porkchopper writes:

in response to Notahiredblogger:

Tim Nance Collier County Commissioner District Five!

Think you might be right on this, when you drive through District 5 all you see are Tim Nance signs. Everyone out here you talk to wants a change, and Coletta has made a lot of enemies over the years. Tim Nance is also much more qualified.

jdltoo writes:

Congratulations to Kevin Lilly, our next Collier County Property Appraiser. He is right. Get the old guard out! It is time we "re-assess our future!"

TheyPavedParadise2 writes:

in response to lovemycat:

It may be a snapshot 'if it's done accurately'.

Nah, Look at the results. About 600 people voted, and yes there were entire families involved in the process. Too bad you are happy with your world.

John_Galt writes:

Are you kidding me Naples News? You really ARE a bunch of cronies!

LIBERTARIAN Peter Richter took 1/3rd of the votes when facing TWO Republicans. One incumbent RINO and another decent Republican. The votes to Peter Richter more than doubled those of the Republican challenger.

No wonder they didn't mention it. That news might upset the good old boy network. Passidomo must be worried now, initially thinking Mr. Richter was no threat. Boy was she surprised!

tru213 writes:

Looks like people are wise to John Barlow. He's a phoney: claimed to be a Vietnam Veteran and ran Safelite Corp into bankrupcy.

He wants the Clerk of Courts to go along with Coyle's crowd.

What a guy !

concerned_rep writes:

While not the final word, these straw polls do represent what to expect in the primary and general elections. This is encouraging since the two incumbents that were "defeated" are definitely the two that need to be replaced - especially the current property appraiser. In the debates thus far, Mr. Lilly has convincingly won all of them - almost shamefully due to the embarrassing performances by Mr. Skinner (who was repeatedly attacked verbally by the audience in one of them).

Additionally, we all need to keep in mind that the current regime is under an on-going investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for what in all likelihood are dozens of issues. Just this cloud of uncertainty should be enough to make people realize that something is wrong, let alone valuing a $3M parking lot to $237 (the paint stripes are worth more than that). Apparently, the current property appraiser thinks that the voters are really that s-----.

There is no election “closer to home” than that of the Property Appraiser. There are serious issues and problems in this office and it’s time that voters take notice of these and act on them in the primary election. Congrats to Mr. Lilly and, for the sake of Collier County and it’s taxpayers, hope you win in the Primary this August and return dignity to the Property Appraiser’s office (where a good 90% of the employees are supporting you and that alone is enough to say who the right candidate is)!

John_Q_Public writes:

Is there a reason this hack newspaper and its hack reporter mentioned every race that participated in the straw poll yesterday (including the US congressional district 19 race that wasn't on the ballot) but conveniently left out Peter Richter's shock performance in the FL House District 106 race?

Libertarian Richter finished second, sandwiched between 2 Republicans, in a three way race in a Republican dominated event. The fact that he performed so well and the NDN is blacking out the results speaks for itself.

Dbess writes:

Go Tim Nance! This grassroots effort is showing results! Come on voters, you have the ability to enforce term limits in this race!

forliberty writes:

I find it disgusting that some of the candidates were totally left out of this article! Must mean someone feels threatened!

TheyPavedParadise2 writes:

in response to tru213:

He wants the Clerk of Courts to go along with Coyle's crowd.

What a guy !

John doesn't look well. The ultra pressure that Coletta and Coyle are hitting him with will take it's toll.
John, take a break and tell them to take a hike.
Your money won't protect you from the things they want you to do. Or not do.
Enjoy your retirement.

JoiV writes:

The article states "But attendees could only vote for candidates in the state legislative, Collier commission and constitutional office races"... well? Why no mention of the results of the FL House race? Why conduct a poll and then censor the results? Where can we find THE WHOLE STORY?

j.j.johnson#258632 writes:

After viewing the debate between Abe Skinner and Kevin Lilly on the Collier County Website on June 25th, it is now very apparent why Mr. Lilly won last nights straw poll. Mr. Skinner came into office when the computer age came in, by his own admission. In the debate he also acknowledged his lack of understanding of what the IT department does or doesn't do. They must be wasting taxpayer dollars by the millions! He invited anyone listening to the debate to "try to break the new beta "thing" he just had developed! It is long past time for Mr. Skinner to accept his retirement. After that vote yesterday he is surely having Crow for Lunch today.

chrysf56 writes:

I went to the event. It was REALLY REALLY HOT inside, but I still went to every booth for campaign lit so that I could see who was running. I was there from around 4 until 5:30, and it was pretty crowded the whole time. A lot of people came to the candidates fair but didn't go to the straw pool.

My overwhelming impression was that all those who were running were ramming their supporters into the event (so that they would have credible tallies going into the primary) and that there were far more of them than members of the general public. I heard that there will be a few more forums like this in other parts of town, so perhaps my neighbors who live elsewhere planned to go there instead of trekking to North Naples.

Such straw polls, I agree, are of really limited value to anyone as any type of gauge for what the general public thinks.

JoiV writes:

in response to John_Q_Public:

Great news! I'm glad the audience is here to report the whole story!

j.j.johnson#258632 writes:

in response to concerned_rep:

During this weeks debate, Mr. Lilly held up a photo of the property at Berkshire noting that it is for sale with plenty of square footage available. I would bet that the asking price is much greater than $237.00. By the way, did you, or anyone you know, get this type of tax break on any property you own in Collier County?

bbb01 writes:

I have been closely watching the race for property appraiser. At first, and like most, I thought it would be just another race worthy of being ignored. But then one thing led to the next and I found myself very interested in this particular race and have been keeping an open mind (although I feel Mr. Skinner is too old).

I have been keeping an eye on the newspapers for articles and have attended the recent debates as well as Politics in the Park. As a senior citizen of Collier County, I can honestly say that I am embarrassed by our current property appraiser. He looks and sounds tired and weak with his dismal performance as evidence in the debates. I finally met him in person last night along with three of whom I was told were his top-level management staff and NOT ONE of them had anything coherent to say. We all have heard that many government employees are… well, let’s just say sub-standard. But if these three so-called top managers are the best Mr. Skinner can come up with, this office MUST be in serious trouble! I will say that not a one of them looked under-fed, though.

Last night was also the first time that I met Mr. Lilly in person. He was quite pleasant and answered all of my questions very clearly and was prepared with evidence to back up his answers. He also shared an endorsement letter with me from Mr. Sam Holden (or something like that) – the previous property appraiser before Mr. Skinner.

I must say that I am somewhat disappointed in the “wisdom” that my fellow senior citizens showed last night at the straw poll. Either they don’t know about the serious problems Mr. Skinner is facing or they choose to ignore it, but then everyone is entitled to their opinion. After what I’ve learned first-hand, my vote is for Mr. Lilly.

concerned_rep writes:

in response to j.j.johnson#258632:

I don't have a parking lot, but if I did, I would get all of the owners of parking lots in this county to storm that office and demand the same from Skinner and company. But this issue won't be Skinner's fall from grace (although it certainly hasn't helped him) - it's going to come from the FDLE - and it won't be pretty!

justsaynoemore writes:

I attended and no matter what, it is great that there is at least one event like this where candidates can meet the public. I see the article has been updated to show Peter Richter's strong support against Passidomo. Even if the CBIA is a Republican event, Mr. Richter receiving the level of support he got has the possibilities of an upset in November. And, if you are looking for a third party candidate for President, please look into Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate. Do a You Tube search and watch his short commercials, they will blow your mind. Thank you CBIA and the other sponsors for hosting this event as the town square and a log to stand on has disappeared from the American political scene.

John_Q_Public writes:

Thank you to the Naples Daily News for stepping up and changing this article to include ALL the results from yesterday's straw poll.

swfldude writes:

I attended the Poltics in the Park event last night as well, and I agree with Chrysf56 it was very hot inside. However, I too went to every booth for information on each candidate.

One glaring observation to me was the location of the candidates, it was very obvious that they were positioned according to their current or presumed status. You had the more popular candidates, in the middle of the room, with the lesser known candidates on the outer fringes further away from the main flow that was entering and exiting the room.

This is a popularity contest for the respective campaigns, and I appreciate that. However, if the CBIA who runs the event wants to present the best possible product in fairness to the citizens of Collier County, then I would suggest placing the candidates who are running against each other in the same area of the room next to or very near each other, in order to ensure everyone gets the same quality of treatment, and as much equal opportunity to share their views as possible. Postion them by their respective races and not their popularity or presumed endorsement status.

With the 642 votes that were stated to have been cast, according to my addition of what was listed in the article, the Sheriffs race had 627 total votes cast, and the Property Appraisers race had 607 votes cast. These are the two most popular races this year, and they were the two most popular last evening as well. However, there are several lesser known races out there this year with extremely qualified candidates that would like just an equal opportunity to present their views and thats what events like these are supposed to be for.

Lets just be fair. Thats the very least that all voters as well as all candidates regardless of affiliation deserve.

j.j.johnson#258632 writes:

Today was probably not a good day at the Collier County Appraisers Office. After losing the Straw Poll and having to face all of his subordinates, Mr. Skinner must be uncomfortable. Imagine...going to work today with Mr. Skinner & Co knowing that many of the employees support the challenger in the upcoming race. Mr. Skinner and his top luietenants know it too. Mr. Skinner speaks about doing things as a team, but that team consists of himself and three others. Many of the other employees must be worried about their future with Collier County. When the investigation is complete, the public will know the truth, at least about some of the things that go on there.

j.j.johnson#258632 writes:

in response to bbb01:

The Property Appraiser before Abe Skinner was Sam Colden. Since you saw the letter first hand, this is quite an important development. Going back to the time when Mr. Colden retired, he supported the appointment of Mr. Skinner by the Governor. Mr.Colden has apparently seen fit to drop his support for Abe, since he now endorses Kevin Lilly. Many folks from Collier County, going back quite far, have the highest regard for Mr. Sam Colden.

concerned_rep writes:

in response to j.j.johnson#258632:

Most of them are probably grinning ear-to-ear.

Porkchopper writes:

Pam Brown will be a strong contender against Matt Hudson once people discover how much damage he has done in Talahassee

concerned_rep writes:

For those interested, here is a link to the latest Property Appraiser's debate. You be the judge on the winner!

JoiV writes:

Kudos earned, NDN - thank you for providing the whole story in response to our complaints.

o2cool writes:

The name of the former Collier County properrty appraiser is Sam Colding. I worked for him and he was a gentleman (still is) and would listen to his employees when they came to him with problems. I am very sure that he regrets ever supporting Abe Skinner as his replacement years ago. Of course, years ago Abe did not have the swelled head he has now.

None of his cronies have the education and personality that Keven Lilly possesses, even if you lumped them all together. Abe is a mean spirited man and many people will be glad to see him go.After watching him on the debates the other night, I was actually embarrassed by his performance. He no not what he speaks of....because he does not have a clue. He listens to his DP director and she does not know what she is doing either. They are a pair. Please let all your snowbird friends to get an absentee ballot and vote for Kevin in August. That is the only election that matters.

BillyBob1 writes:

in response to TheyPavedParadise2:

John, take a break and tell them to take a hike.
Your money won't protect you from the things they want you to do. Or not do.
Enjoy your retirement.

It must be really hard for Barlow to be working so hard on Collettas campaign and trying to run his own at the same time. The whole mess stinks to high heaven. Tim Nance 2012 for sure.

BillyBob1 writes:

in response to swfldude:

Ithink they placed everyone as they arrived. First ones there closest to the door etc... I may be wrong but I heard that was what happened. Earlybirds got best locations.

swfldude writes:

in response to BillyBob1:

Billybob1: I spoke with a couple of the candidiates, and they stated that the positions were preassigned. I asked after I noticed the postioning of some candidates.

Also, I would like to answer to the blogger that stated that the Property Apprasiers election was "the only one that mattered". I will tend to disagree. There are several races that are important to the citizens of Collier County not just one race.

A prime example would be the Tax Collectors race. 400 straw poll voters cast their vote to the current Tax Colector even after he stated in his forum with the Collier County Womens Voters on Monday that " I sure hope I am not wasting my time" in his closing statement. He (Mr. Ray) stated that he was missing his grandsons game to be at the forum. I appreciate Mr. Ray missing a family event, however there are many of us who do not feel that an important part of our politcal process is a "waste of time." This statement can be found at the 2hour 2 minute mark of the June 25th LWOCC forum.

How many people actually know that a candidate was hoping he not "wasting his time". This is occuring in an important race for this county as well.

There are other races out there this year that strongly affect our future. I for one want to be as informed as possible on every race that will determine the course of our county.

BigOrangeKitty writes:

in response to o2cool:

You just lost me by saying that the property appraiser race "is the only election that matters."

Also in August, Collier County voters will decide between Tim Nance and Jim Coletta.
Also in August, Collier County voters will decide between Steve Cosgrove and Donna Fiala.

Do you really think this doesn't matter?

staghorn writes:

Contributions to HUDSON, MATT

fluptown writes:

Steve Cosgrove over Donna Fiala! She spends your tax dollars putting up traffic lights all over the trail. She needs to go!

John_Galt writes:

in response to BillyBob1:

That is incorrect - the tables were assigned well in advance. It was a scam. Also, there were reports of people completely missing the event - going to vote, and leaving, not knowing there was a convention inside. It's almost like they wanted people to vote without seeing who the competition was.

SCHLLC (Inactive) writes:

in response to lovemycat:

It may be a snapshot 'if it's done accurately'.

Some of you folks are as bitter as you are ignorant.
Historically this event has been largely accurate in predicting the winners. Last time I checked children can't vote and actual voters only get to vote once. How can a non binding poll be a "sham" if it accurately predicts the winners?
Even the bizzare assertion of favoritism by the placement of candidates displays is just crazy. The hall was small enough to walk the entire event in less than 3 minutes.
Finally here is the reason this poll is so accurate. Voter turnout in the county is abysmal. Last election cycle each commissioner won with a total of right around 2000 votes or less.
If 642 people showed up and voted last night that is potentially 30% of any given commissioners votes. And if someone is motivated to come to a straw poll vote, its a pretty safe bet that they will show up on the actual voting day.
Ps vinnybobotz your sanity and credibility erodes more every time you open your mouth. You aren't fit to be the dog catcher.
See ya at the polls!

Just1 writes:

It was a Great Day!

nightranger writes:

in response to John_Galt:

Are you kidding me Naples News? You really ARE a bunch of cronies!

Passidomo need not worried because this election will be decided in the Republican Primary (like it has been for 30 years).. And she will win the general election because when you look at the distict it incompases all of the wealthy areas on the water and west of U.S. 41 and that means old white Republicans. Ritcher is done in this race. Doesn't mean he can't run again, but this race is over ..

TheyPavedParadise2 writes:

in response to chrysf56:

I agree with most of what you said. There were lots of people who either didn't understand or couldn't care about voting. It was about 30-50% of the people.
There was a political group passing out voting lists. Apparently they don't understand what is about to happen. Taking over the government, making it bigger, raising taxes for special interests is quite a liberal thing to do.
Fishing and hunting in western New York will be more fun than watching people attack and change all of the bad things you did for 12 years.
They may want to get that address because the Sheriff might need it to serve papers.

protectomom writes:

Thank you NDN for FINALLY correcting the article by adding the LIBERTARIAN coming in 2nd place in an important FL STATE REP race. GO PETER! Proud of your efforts to beat the incumbent that was just handed this state rep seat to begin with. Now she has some real competition and she should be ready to back her bags.

protectomom writes:

Here's what we need to do to keep our elected officials accountable Florida!

THE FIVE FOR FLORIDA PLAN! http://americansforprosperity.org/5fo...

Peter Richter already signed the pledge to work for We the People! No worries for corruption with his principles and values. Good person through and through, and he is FOR term limits.

BigOrangeKitty writes:

in response to fluptown:

I agree!

Here's Steve Cosgrove's website: http://cosgroveforcollier.com/solutions

Please check it out, volunteer, make a donation, whatever you can do to help. Fiala has to go!

Let's not forget that Donna Fiala refused to allow the people to vote on Jackson Labs!

lostinswga writes:

in response to o2cool:

Mr. Colding has long rued the day he advocated the appointment of Abe Skinner to County Propery Appraiser. Abe Skinner virtually forgot who Mr. Colding was once he had the position secured. Abe Skinner uses people to his own benefit and always has.