Naples man burned in boat explosion upgraded to serious condition

Photo provided by City of Naples Fire-Rescue Department
- A firefighter extinguishes smoldering fire on a boat on involved in an explosion the previous night.  Naples resident Alex Sempf and his 11-year-old son, Kristoff Sempf, were injured in the fire.

Photo by City of Naples Fire Department

Photo provided by City of Naples Fire-Rescue Department - A firefighter extinguishes smoldering fire on a boat on involved in an explosion the previous night. Naples resident Alex Sempf and his 11-year-old son, Kristoff Sempf, were injured in the fire.

Helmut Alex Sempf

Helmut Alex Sempf

A 59-year-old Naples man burned in a boat explosion Friday night has been upgraded to serious condition, a Tampa General Hospital spokeswoman said.

Alex Sempf, who had been previously listed in critical condition, remains at the hospital with burns over 75 percent of his body following the fire on Bembury Drive. Sempf's 11-year-old son Kristoff, who suffered serious burns to his lower legs, remains in serious condition.

Naples fire officials believe the explosion was accidental as the father and son tried to remove gasoline from the boat.

Related Stories

AssyMcGee writes:

Poor kids. Seems that dad has a habit of making bad choices.

FloridaVoter writes:

Assy ... I wonder how you got your nickname.

wentfishn writes:

in response to AssyMcGee:

Poor kids. Seems that dad has a habit of making bad choices.

Yes he has, ripped of the banks number of yrs ago.

angrytxpyr writes:

Now more than ever Mr. Sempf and his two children need help in making sure his business and their security and support continue.

I will continue my self censor, but feel compelled to say some of the light weights that attempted to fill my shoes on yesterdays article make my stuff irreplaceable.

God Speed Mr. Sempf and I hope your children all the best in their recovery and hopefully reuniting with their dad.

AssyMcGee writes:

I just want to make sure that angrytxpyr does NOT get the last word. Sure, I hope he recovers to be there for his children......but his bad choices over the years (59) are an indication that things are only going to get worse.

gotero writes:

in response to FloridaVoter:

Assy ... I wonder how you got your nickname.

I think we can safely remove the "Y"

wentfishn writes:

in response to gotero:

I think we can safely remove the "Y"

We? I think you should speak for yourself. Cheap shot.

FloridaVoter writes:

in response to wentfishn:

We? I think you should speak for yourself. Cheap shot.

gotero meant me and him. Together, WE are two.

angrytxpyr writes:

This comment was sent to me VIA private message by a contributor with the user name of "flnative" "Wasn't Helmut Sempf arrested and charged with arson on January 10, 1984, for a fire that occurred at 1207 Middle River Drive in the City…."

Why wouldn't she post it for all to see. Could this just be a jealous reaction by a Union member who was not invited to the incident? Anyway "flanative" your a little on the chicken poo side in that you seem to be afraid to make your comments public and take your chances of embarrassing yourself.