Letter: Helping the enemy

Sam Person, Fort Myers

Helping the enemy

It is beginning to appear that President Barack Obama is going to be re-elected, a conclusion I have reached for three reasons.

To begin with, he is the darling of the "mainstream media" which covers for him and ignores things that should be brought to light.

He will win because he has succeeded in making a substantial portion of our citizens dependent on the largesse he dispenses. In doing so, he has created a base that will vote for him without hesitation.

Still, the main reason he will win re-election is the Republican Party itself. Republicans have been busy fighting among themselves and allowing Obama and Democrats to make suckers out of them.

Given that Obama has the media to cover him, and a built-in voting base, Republicans are foolish for compromising their principles and continually seeking to "reach across the aisle" to accommodate Democrats. In doing so, they are splintering their party and aiding in the Obama drive to "fundamentally transform America."

Republicans must concede the media to Obama, and recognize that his base of followers is not likely to diminish despite the fact that he continues to contradict and reinvent himself as he goes along. Indeed, his ability to rail against "millionaires and billionaires" while seeking their financial support is an example of his ability to sell himself to the unwary.

Republicans must strongly emphasize Obama's shortcomings and not cater to those who will vote for him in any event.

Related Topics

colinkelly2 writes:

Gentlemen, the campaign hasn't started yet. Oh, Obama is campaigning. He has been for four years.
But with no Republican candidate, his way is open. Once he has an opponent, it will be different. Then we'll see. Your predictions might have some substance. Not until then, however.

PAREIDOLIA (Inactive) writes:

"the main reason he (Obama) will win re-election is the Republican Party itself"

SAM has come very close to the truth; but there is more:

If the Dems are bad for the country; I blame the GOP for allowing the Liberals to take over the government.

Under the Bush Administration and before, the GOP alienated millions of women, Gay people and millions more with their emphasis on social Conservatism and Christian fundamentalism.

If the GOP had stuck to its traditional role of fiscal responsibility and foreign policy; instead of trying to Evangelize America; perhaps there would have never been a Nancy Pelosi or President Obama.

To make matters worse; the GOP hopefuls are STILL at it; with their talk of traditional marriage, anti-abortion and claims of religious persecution.

So what we are looking at is four more years of Obama; AND eight years of President Andrew Cuomo (D. NY); maybe with Hillary as V.P. (2016); courtesy of the Christian Conservatives; Hannity, Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, and Fox News.

It's too bad the GOP couldn't keep its nose out of people's medicine cabinets, bedrooms and physician's offices.

The GOP will be the holiest political party in the cemetery.

The Republican Party is dead; maybe for a long time; murdered by god.

pmz writes:

Fundamental to conservatism is the idea that we, the people, be divided into favored and unfavored classes of citizens.

Thus, the "mainstream media", is the media of the lower classes, and the Republican owned extreme rightist media is the source of truth for the favored classes. And the government providing services for the lower, working classes, is "dispensing largesse" for votes. And workers organizing into unions is a threat to the country where owners organizing into corporations is a favored thing. Or the wants and needs of big oil take precedence over the climate in which the unfavored classes live.

On the other hand, Bush's wealth redistribution tax rates substantially favoring income from wealth over income from work is a reasonable accommodation to the privileged.

All, about as unAmerican as can be judged.

Extreme conservatism is the biggest threat to Americanism since the Civil War when states rejected the country in favor of their addiction to the ultimate in upper and lower classes, slavery.

Our protection from this threat is democracy. We the people need to send in Nov an unequivocal message to those who would impose their vision of aristocracy on we, the people. That message? Take your cult and climb back into your pointy sheets and stay out of our government. We need to restore the progress that you halted. We need to return completely to the government of, by and for all of the people who respect democracy.

justanfair writes:

GOP is contradiction central.
Keep government out of lives except when it comes to abortion, now contraception.
No nation building but unnecessary wars OK.
Fiscal conservatism preferred but OK for huge Medicare part D give away to big Pharma, subsidies to oil and gas, big AG.Return the Clinton surplus despite nobody asking for a tax cut.
Claim they care about the US worker but wages depressed since Reagan in 1980 and battles on minimum wage, unemployment benefit ever since.
Need I say more. Bumper sticker politics - that's the GOP.

Sane_in_Florida (Inactive) writes:

What do John Boehner, Barrack Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Paul Ryan, and Jon Kyle have in common? They are ALL AMERICANS. Not a single one is an enemy of anyone.

The problem with this country is YOU Mr. Person. And the Republicans are not the reason why Obama will be re-elected, rather it is simply people like you turning everyone else off who appreciate rational thought and civility.

pmz writes:

in response to Sane_in_Florida:

Perhaps it is trivial but I question your statement "Not a single one is an enemy of anyone."

Depends on your definition of "enemy".

We democratically elect representatives and leaders for our common government. Some, at the end of their term, have brought about progress, some have created more problems than solutions.

Some display intentions to serve we, the people, some have narrower intentions towards self serving.

As an example several Republicans have publicly stated their intentions to remove our President from office at any expense to the country.

While it might be argued that none reach the level of "enemy" of the Osama bin Laden level, those who lead us to troubles certainly are not effective friends of America.

Perhaps some poor performance is unintentional, but in any organization of responsible people accountability is key.

cupcake writes:

You'd better hope you're not an enemy of Obama. He has decreed that he possesses the power and authority to kill you, with no due process, no explanation, and no interference by the American Justice System.
NDAA is his weapon.

pmz writes:

in response to cupcake:

NDAA is his weapon.

Private citizens, police and military have always had that power given threat to life and, in some cases, property.

Robertofnaples writes:

Odd thought pattern you hold. I had to laugh when you said Republicant's reached across the asile; Really? Please do tell! The purging of the party I belong to; started years ago. I was actually asked to sign a loyalty oath to remain a member of Collier Counties Republican Executive Committee. I asked in a historical political sense; what party, from what country, ever demanded a loyalty oath? Go ahead and google this question; it is party, I wish not to keep. When the 2010 elections caused such change in Congress, state houses, etc.; how could the Republicant's make such huge errors in judgement? No it's not the media cupcake; it's that the Republicant's are their own worst enemy. President Obama, may well be the luckiest politician to ever live. It is said though good fortune, smiles upon the well prepared. He may not have been prepared for the Presidency; but he was lucky in 2008. Now in November; his luck continues, as there is not now a Republicant running, that can beat him. The Justice Department today was ask to look into the reason gas prices have exploded. I'm sure in a very short amount of time; you will see them fall again.The people in these United States are not s-----; they (thanks to a free press) receive information openly and freely. Not to say news outlets from both sides spin the facts wildly; as I've always said "A half truth, is a whole lie". There is "NO" crisis that explains why gas prices have done, what they have done. Talk about corporate political favors at the expense of regular Americans. No "good" American should stand for that!!!

No2biggov writes:

All we can hope for then, if Obama IS reelected, is that, after he has completely usurped, by-passed, and made the Constitution competely irrelevant that he will be a benevolent dictatator! Like Winston Smith, the character in "1984", I too will learn to love "Big Brother"!

pmz writes:

in response to No2biggov:

I love Republicans who ignored Bush's assault on everything American for 8 years but blame President Obama for "after he has completely usurped, by-passed, and made the Constitution competely irrelevant", without a shread of evidence.

How? Demanding that their preferred but amateur interpretation hold sway over the Supreme Court's, which is specifically what the Constitution prohibits.

Robertofnaples writes:

in response to pmz:

Again with logic based in facts. We don't go for no facts around here lawdawg!!!

Robertofnaples writes:

in response to No2biggov:

Yeah just like you love The Voice, Dancing with the Stars, Billy The Exterminater, etc.. Very educational T.V.. Do you tevo Bill O, and Hannity, or do you tevo Danc... lol

volochine writes:

Will the family of Mr. Person please evaluate him for his drivers license?

Helping the enemy? Does he own a gun?

He has great logic and a republican.

He has to be insane, by todays republican standards.

No2biggov writes:

in response to pmz:

PMZ, I'm glad you love Republicans. Actually I'm not a Republican. I don't believe I mentioned I was one. I AM a Conservative, but you can be a conservative from either party. I am an American. I have noticed if I fail to blame Bush I am a Republican, If I blame Obama I am a Republican. I don't blame anyone except myself and the rest of America who put both of these liars in office!
I don't pretend to know the truth and anyone who says they do is lying, because all we get from our politicians, on both sides, are lies. I do know that my gut tells me we are in trouble as a country. My heart tells me we are headed in the wrong direction and my brain tells me we are not told the truth by either Party! The truth will only be the result of what we witness in the future, but many believe it will be too late by then!
No matter who's to blame or at fault, at the end of the day we are on the same ship if it goes down! You can then point a boney little finger at me, Conservatives, Republicans, et al, and say it's my (our) fault if that will make you you feel better! In the meantime grab the Dixie cup and bail!