Local motorcyclist injured in Golden Gate Estates crash, driver cited

— The driver involved in a Golden Gate Estates crash Friday that injured a motorcyclist has been cited, according to the Florida Highway Patrol

Reports show Guillermo Puente, 61, of Golden Gate Estates, was driving a 2005 Chevy 2500 pickup truck east on 16th Avenue Northwest around 6 a.m. when he made a left turn onto Wilson Boulevard. Puente told FHP he stopped at the stop sign before turning, but didn’t see the approaching motorcycle.

Matthew Stewart Banks, 24, of Naples, was traveling south on Wilson Boulevard on his 1999 Yamaha YZF-R1 sport bike and swerved left to avoid the truck, but struck its right side, reports show. The motorcycle ended up beneath the pickup, which continued traveling upon impact and struck a power pole and phone junction box, reports show. Traffic was interrupted on Wilson Boulevard for several hours.

Banks, who was wearing a helmet, was transported in serious condition to NCH Downtown Naples Hospital. Hospital staff said Saturday night that he had been discharged from NCH.

Neither Puente nor his passenger, Elisa Maria Puente, 53, were injured. Both were wearing seat belts, reports show.

Puente is cited with failure to yield the right of way at a stop-sign intersection, according to FHP.

Earlier report:

The driver of a pickup truck was cited by the Florida Highway Patrol in an early morning crash in Golden Gate Estates that seriously injured a Naples man riding a motorcycle.

Matthew Stewart Banks, 24, is in serious condition at NCH Hospital Downtown with injuries he sustained in the crash, which occurred 6:11 a.m. Friday at Wilson Boulevard and 16th Avenue Northeast, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Reports show Guillermo Puente, 61, of Golden Gate Estates was driving a 2005 Chevy 2500 pickup truck east on 16th Avenue Northwest when he made a lefthand turn onto Wilson Boulevard in front of Banks, who was traveling south on Wilson. Puente, who stopped at the stop sign before turning, said he did not see the approaching motorcycle, FHP reports show.

Banks, wearing a helmet and riding a 1999 Yamaha YZF-R1 sport bike, swerved left to try to avoid the pickup, but struck the truck's right side. The motorcycle ended up underneath the pickup, which continued traveling upon impact and struck a power pole and phone junction box, reports show.

Puente was charged with failure to yield the right of way at a stop-sign intersection, according to the FHP.

Neither Puente nor his passenger, Elisa Maria Puente, 53, were injured in the crash. Both were wearing seat belts, reports show.

Colorado (Inactive) writes:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

ARG (Inactive) writes:

in response to Colorado:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

trueamerican writes:

GREAT! Another person who skates by saying I didn't see the motorcycle. They get a ticket for failure to yield, and the guy riding the bike will get several years if not a life time of pain and rehab for his injury's. Hopefully the driver of the truck has insurance, but being of the type and age of truck, he probably only had the PIP coverage, which means 20K to the hospital and a huge bill to the guy on the bike.

roadhouse writes:

in response to trueamerican:

If you ride a bike, deal with consequences of your stupidity.

Illusion writes:

CaptScotty-"GREAT! Another person who skates by saying I didn't see the motorcycle".

The driver was ticketed no differently than if he had hit an automobile. It was an accident. I have come close to hitting a "sport bike" in a similar capacity, when the bike, speeding, appeared out of no where. I, also, often observe these "sport bikes" traveling at dangerously high speeds. Life is a risk, but you still live it.

just_makin_it writes:

If I'm driving a car and kill someone, i can be charged with manslaughter. If a car hits a bike and the biker dies, the car gets a citation for not yielding right of way. What is WRONG with this picture??????!!!!!!!!

mr_1_term_proposition writes:

The foreign driver should be in jail for attempted murder. Open your dam eyes people! Look past the hood of your vehicle, there is a whole world out there that you need to be 100% aware of. What if it was a little child on a bike? "I didn't see her coming". Would that still work? Driving has great responsibilities tied to it.

JunkYardDog_1 (Inactive) writes:

in response to roadhouse:

If you ride a bike, deal with consequences of your stupidity.

You're a hockey puck for even saying that. It doesn't matter what someone is driving when a driver fails to yield the right of way. A T-bone is a T-bone and could result in serious injury or death for all involved. What a terrible thing to say or suggest by you. Shows what kind of person you are.

By the way, I've been riding since I was a kid and have logged several hundred thousand miles on a motorcycle. I sure hope you know how to yield to the right of way if we cross paths on day.

framda writes:

You may own a car but you don't own the road! Motorcycles have the same right to be on the road as a car, not one little bit less. If you cause pain and suffering to another person you need to be held liable.

framda writes:

in response to roadhouse:

If you ride a bike, deal with consequences of your stupidity.

If you injure someone because of your stupidity, deal with the consequences of your stupidity.

JunkYardDog_1 (Inactive) writes:

in response to framda:

Thank you for adding a coherent comment to someone who clearly disregards the safety of others on the road!!!

Ghostrider19 writes:

in response to Illusion:

and I have seen fat old middle aged crisis Harley riders weaving in an out of traffic with no gear, and come to think of it last couple of bike accidents were drunk biking crashes by Harleys. So keep your idiotic comments to yourself, okay loosebrain.

JunkYardDog_1 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Ghostrider19:

Can you back that up with some links, Casper?

Illusion writes:

Ghostrider19 - “So keep your idiotic comments to yourself, okay loosebrain”.

Comments are enabled for this article, and I am exercising my right to speech. The idiotic comment appears to come from an individual that enjoys name calling; also known as bullying.

I have also observed Harley’s, other motorcycle types and automobiles driving recklessly. My comments regarding the “sports bike” are relative to the article.

just_makin_it -“If I'm driving a car and kill someone, i [I] can be charged with manslaughter. If a car hits a bike and the biker dies, the car gets a citation for not yielding right of way”.
Perhaps the driver of the truck will be charged if the motorcycle victim dies. There is no indication of death, therefor, you have no question.

mr_1_term_proposition -“The foreign driver should be in jail for attempted murder”. You are familiar with the driver’s origin of birth? My heritage is European, yet I have a United States birth certificate; would I be a foreign driver also? The definition of attempted murder according to Lectlaw (2012) is, “First, acting deliberately and intentionally or recklessly with extreme disregard for human life, the person attempted to kill someone; and the person did something that was a substantial step toward committing the crime. [Mere preparation is not a substantial step toward committing a crime.]”.

This was an apparent accident,it should also be noted that the “foreign driver” stopped at the stop sign, prior to turning.; perhaps “foreign people” have different eyesight according to their anthropological evolution?

Generalizations, labels and biases indicate ignorance.

joeblow writes:

Hey...ya just can't see them all the time. Ride a bike, take the chance. Can always trade your bike in for a car like the rest of us.

Patton writes:

in response to framda:

The driver was ticketed just like anyone else. One needs to drive defensively rather than just expect the other drivers to be looking out for you.

MacGumbo writes:

Wearing the helmet probably saved his life!

First smart motorcycle driver written about in a long, long time.

Good luck with your recovery!

LovesBS writes:

in response to just_makin_it:

...stop over-reacting to hear say or what you'd like to think! If you can't, try anger management.

I know you think the 'world' is against motorcycle riders...but that's simply not the truth. BTW - Your handle fits if talking mental capacity. Think boy think!!

silverback writes:

in response to LovesBS:

Stuff it girl, stuff it!

tampacoco writes:

You have to watch for everything when driving , Motorcycles included. Stay off cell phones,stop eating and driving, Put your make-up on at home ect. Just pay attention to your driving and surroundings. I pray he recovers and glad he had his helmet on.

trueamerican writes:

in response to roadhouse:

If you ride a bike, deal with consequences of your stupidity.

So let's just say for the sake of argument, I'm(or you)out in the back of my property and working on my shooting skill's. A round ricochets off into the distance, and hits one of your children....I claim I didn't see anyone back there! Is there any less damage? Is the purposed negligence any different? I say with the price of fuel you'll see a lot more people riding some sort of bike. So "roadhouse", open your eyes, if you can, and watch out for others on the road.

QueBonita writes:

Riding a murdercycle in SWF is suicidal.
I hardly feel safe in a full-size pickup.

swampbuggy writes:

I live off Wilson near where the crash happened.
I was out with the dog for his morning walk. I heard the motorcycle accelerating, not wide open but pretty hard on the throttle. It was still accelerating up until about 2 seconds before the crash. My guess, Puente looked left, then right and turned into the road, not realizing the bike was that close.

Sick writes:

This is what the 1,000,000'th time this exact accident has happened?

When will they learn?

joeblow writes:

We need to know how fast the bike was going.

Sick writes:

in response to joeblow:

We need to know how fast the bike was going.

It squeezed itself under a truck out the other side, took out a phone box and crashed into a telephone pole.

I would say it was cookin!

WYSIWYG writes:

For the 1999 model year, Cycle World tests found a 0 to 60 mph time of 3.0 seconds, 1⁄4-mile time of 10.31 seconds at 139.55 mph (224.58 km/h), and a top speed of 170 mph (270 km/h).[6]

I hope the best for Matthew (full recovery), I truly do. But I have to agree with most that driving a motorcycle here in Florida is crazy, especially a sport bike. 0-60 in 3 seconds! Thats fast, and might have been what got him...just my opinion.

kidderzhere writes:

in response to Sick:

I would say it was cookin!

hey sick i read the report and stood at the accident site,the truck dragged the bike 30 feet to the pole and "truck"hit the pole and box!!im the uncle of the cycle rider and friend of the drivers son.

kidderzhere writes:

to the concerned people,the rider had surgery to repair his left shoulder and elbow.now hes transferred to ft myers for more surgeries to be performed on his left knee wich is being held together by his skin only!!

kidderzhere writes:

oh by the way for those who are concerned,matt was transferred to lee memorial still in critical condition.his shoulder and elbow have been put back into place,now he needs multiple surgeries to repair his left knee.thank you for the positive posts!

joeblow writes:

We have to site the bike driver for speeding then.

just_makin_it writes:

in response to Illusion:

Ghostrider19 - “So keep your idiotic comments to yourself, okay loosebrain”.

Generalizations, labels and biases indicate ignorance.

OMG! My comment was referring to all motorcycle accidents, not this one in particular. Get a clue!
My point being that we need a law on the books for motorcycle accidents that kill the biker. These people that kill motorcylists are getting away with manslaughter.

buzzard1 writes:

in response to roadhouse:

If you ride a bike, deal with consequences of your stupidity.

I can't even reply to your s----- post.
Signed A HARLEY RIDER

ChiDem writes:

in response to JunkYardDog_1:

Read your quote

""I sure hope you know how to yield to the right of way if we cross paths on (sic) day""

Now roadhouse's """If you ride a bike, deal with consequences of your stupidity"""

We all know there is stupidly involved riding our scooters in an area where octogenarians are in abundance. Drive more defensively and remember eye contact doesn't always work.

JunkYardDog_1 (Inactive) writes:

in response to ChiDem:

Read your quote

Oh, I do watch for other inept drivers. In fact, I'm a very defensive rider and driver, that's how I've logged around 200,000 miles on a motorcycle without incident.

Coastal writes:

I hope the rider has a quick and complete recovery.

The driver may have been legally in the wrong but if you’ve ever ridden you learn that all accidents are your fault. In this case the rider has to anticipate that the truck was going to pull out in front of him. You don’t have the luxury of assuming cage drivers are not going to hit you. Unfortunately it’s part of riding if you want to live to tell about it.

Riding around here is boring! Everything is straight, flat and mostly hot. Riding in the hills, mountains and twisties is what I like about riding.

framda writes:

in response to Patton:

No different than in a car. My point is that if a car hits a motorcycle because they didn't see the motorcycle, it isn't the motorcyclist's fault. The driver of the car/truck just violated the law. Motorcycles that are legally titled, licensed, insured and operated have the exact same right as a car or truck under the same circumstances. Yeah a motorcyclist needs to be extra careful because their injuries are usually much more severe than someone in a car, however the guilt will lie with the negligent driver. Please look twice and save a life. :)

framda writes:

in response to Coastal:

I hope the rider has a quick and complete recovery.

Yes there are definitely too many cataracts in Cadillacs around here. :) I have lost fellow bikers in the mountains also. Riding is dangerous no matter where you are. The disturbing issue with accidents here is that they are usually caused by someone not paying attention who walks away without a scratch after ending or permanently changing someone's life.

RichMKing writes:

in response to kidderzhere:

I hope your nephew Matt heals 100%.Well wishes for a speedy recovery.God bless.