Collier man killed in motorcycle wreck

A 46-year-old Collier County man died after his motorcycle struck a guardrail on U.S. 41 in mid-April, the Florida Highway Patrol reported Tuesday.

On April 14, Curtis Louis Ledbetter III was driving east on a 2012 Harley-Davidson near Newport Drive when he lost control of the motorcycle as he approached the Faka Union Canal Bridge, authorities said. The motorcycle struck a guardrail, causing Ledbetter to hit a sign pole with his head and ejecting him from the Harley.

Ledbetter was taken to Lee Memorial Hospital with severe head injuries. He died at the hospital April 18, according to the FHP.

Reports said Ledbetter was wearing a helmet and that alcohol was not considered a factor in the crash.

A funeral service for Ledbetter was held Saturday, according to his obituary.

JunkYardDog_1 (Inactive) writes:

Please, no insensitive comments.

Rest peacefully Curt

Candisagree writes:

It's a shame that another motorcyclist has died. I have lost count as to how many accidents there are involving motorcycles in SW Florida alone.

native_at_heart writes:

very sad, I read his obit and all the comments in the guest book. he sounds like he was a great guy and very loved by all that knew him. my condolences to his family and friends.

ricky369 writes:

Our community have a large number of motorcyclists. Many of them aren't very experienced. My advice, find a good responsible club. Ride in an organized manner and in numbers. Take care of each other and save the beer for after the ride. That is what we do.

ricky369 writes:

RIP

shwing writes:

Rest in Peace. Sorry to the family and friends.

Ykpk writes:

in response to ricky369:

Ricky369 comments are right on point.

tathiede writes:

If he has family they should have an expert inspect the bike and see if there were signs of the "Harley Wheel Wobble"!

Niki_6 writes:

in response to ricky369:

Good point.

At least he died doing something he loved. Too bad that fate stepped in, but it was nice to read that he was a responsible rider.

RIP. Condolences to his friends and family :(

leneggs writes:

I ride every Saturday with a group and feel so much safer than when I ride alone.

whippetmom writes:

NDN...Just FYI... He was not killed in the motorcycle accident. He died as a result of the motorcycle accident.

malcolmlandry writes:

I think it would be very nice if Harley Davidson of Naples would step up and do something of value. Harley of Naples could build a very nice non denominatial chapel in their store with photos and plaques commemorating all their customers that are now dead. It could be a meeting place for the families of dead Harley of Naples customers. I think that would be the compassionate thing for Harley of Naples to do.

whippetmom writes:

sirknowalot...maybe you should think deeply about the statement I made and then you may realize the difference. And also, whippets are dogs, not just drugs.

Shaawe writes:

in response to malcolmlandry:

That would be a very cool and respectable jesture, but on the other hand I think it would be bad business advertising for future customers. Really good idea though.

Shaawe writes:

in response to leneggs:

Safety in numbers fer sure. Shiny side up!

BufordP writes:

in response to ricky369:

I'm past the 350,000 miles on 2 wheels mark and I believe I am safer riding alone than in any groups.

group rides really stink if you ask me..
anywhere but in the rear and you are totally at the mercy of the weakest link in the group. I always think of group rides as a form of Bowling for Dollars.. one person screws up and you end up with somebody down and somebody else is in the gutter.

I also believe in riding like I am invisible.

but you are correct about the alcohol part of it.